navigation bar

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Freezer Paper Onesies

Looking for a way to dress up a plain old white onesie? I've got 2 words for you -- FREEZER. PAPER.

Really! Freezer Paper is similar to wax paper, but it's only waxy on one side. It's PERFECT for cutting out stencils and ironing them on to fabric.

I put together a couple of personalized onesies for my new little god-daughter. Here are the instructions.

What You'll Need:

  • Onesies
  • Freezer Paper
  • Fabric Paint
  • Assorted Paint Brushes
  • Pencil
  • Scissors
  • Iron

First, Pre-wash your onesie. While your onesie is being washed, stencil out some designs on the non waxy side of the freezer paper. For this design, I decided on a cupcake pattern with baby's intial on it.

I traced the cupcake top and bottom separately since I knew I wanted to use more than one color.

Ok now cut out the pattern and iron it onto your onesie (remember... waxy side down).

Choose your fabric paint and start filling in your pattern. I found it best to use a sponge brush and blot the color on rather than painting it on with strokes.

Let your paint dry for at least 30 minutes (longer if you have the patients) before you peel off the freezer paper. Once you've peeled off the freezer paper, be sure to heat set the color into the fabric.

For this cupcake pattern, I did one layer at a time, starting with the bottom of the cupcake, then the top, then I finished by free handing the sprinkles and initial.

Wah-Lah! Adorable personalized onesies for the little people!

No comments:

Post a Comment